How old is your bed?
If you want to get the best possible night’s sleep, The Sleep Council recommends that you start to think about replacing your bed after seven years.
When considering purchasing a new bed, you should consider the following: -
- Larger beds are more comfortable. Being disturbed by a sleeping partner is one of the most common complaints. With a larger bed you are less likely to disturb one another.
- Consider the correct support and comfort for your weight and build – not just firmness.
- Try it together if the bed’s for two. You both need to feel comfortable.
- If possible, try a selection of beds for comparison. Set aside enough time to do the job properly so you can appreciate the differences.
- Decide your priorities. For example, is it price, turning the mattress, getting in and out of bed or the overall size etc.?
- Check dimensions. Beds are not standard! Even if they have the same name (eg king-size) they may not be the same size – especially if the mattress and base are not from the same manufacturer.
- Remember, the average person spends over 20,000 hours in bed every seven years so it’s worth taking the time to make sure you choose the right one.